Beach Gardens began on March 20, 1959 when Florida insurance
magnate John D. MacArthur announced his plan to develop 4,000
acres of prime dairy grazing land in North Palm Beach County.
Originally called Palm Beach City, Palm Beach Gardens was the
fulfillment of MacArthur's dream to create a beautiful "garden
city" where future generations of South Floridians could
raise a family and realize the American dream. He invested millions
to create a Palm Beach County community filled with placid waterways,
rolling terrain, magnificent mature pine and shade trees, and
rich foliage. Being a lover of trees, MacArthur instructed that
city streets and construction go around trees that had been growing
for generations. This proved to be quite expensive, but he insisted
that this new city work with nature - and not the other way around.
Wanting to ensure that Palm Beach Gardens had a variety of houses
of worship to serve residents of all faiths, MacArthur also instructed
that churches be the first buildings built in Palm Beach Gardens.
In 1964, Mr. MacArthur heard that the Professional Golfers Association
(PGA) was searching for a new location for their home offices
and golf courses. MacArthur donated more than $2,000,000 to the
project and in March 1965 the PGA clubhouse was completed.
Palm Beach Gardens is located 7 miles north of West
Palm Beach. Current land area is 54.23 square miles -
making it the largest land area in Palm Beach County!